Lag-Kote – Int/Ext Lagging/Bridging Encapsulant
Lag Kote is specifically formulated to be applied over a variety of Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) and in testing was found to be acceptable as an asbestos encapsulant. Designed to encase spray-on fireproofing, asbestos-containing plasters and paints, transite and asbestos-containing thermal insulation, Lag Kote’s minimizes dripping, cleanup and product waste. The smooth, washable, aesthetically-superior finish has excellent resistance to alkalis and can be applied directly over galvanized metal, wood, masonry or other sound surfaces.
Lag Kote was tested for the EPA by Battelle Laboratories and found to meet the requirements for the effective encapsulation and removal of ACM.
- Water based
- 100% acrylic
- Ideal for use on thermal insulation
- Excellent resistance to alkalis
- UV and rust resistant
- EPA accepted encapsulant
How to Use
SURFACE REPAIRS & CLEANING
Lagging that is torn, ruptured or delaminated should be repaired with:
- Patching Cement: Mix cement with water and cap all exposed ends and voids.
- Lag Kloth Water-Activated Repair Cloth: Lag Kloth should be dipped in water and applied to the asbestos containing material. Upon completion of repairs, prepare the surface for the application of Lag Kote. Thoroughly remove all dust and dirt that has accumulated on lagging or covering, use a vacuum with a HEPA filter specifically designed to capture hazardous dust and waste or wipe surfaces with a damp cloth. Do not air clean surfaces; this could increase asbestos exposure.
Apply Lag Kote with brush, roller or airless spray equipment.
- Brush: Synthetic, nylon or polyester bristle
- Roller: Synthetic Fiber 3/8” nap or longer
- Spray Settings: Pressure: 2200-2700 P.S.I. Tips: .015 to .019 tips
Lag Kote may be diluted by adding up to 10% water. Prior to application, stir Lag Kote thoroughly to achieve a uniform consistency. Lag Kote can be tinted to pastel colors.
Select a brush, roller or painter’s mitt for convenient application to the ACM. Apply 1-2 coats of Lag Kote to the desired film thickness. Minimum film thickness may vary with desired results and type of application.
- Smooth Surfaces: 125-175 sq. ft. per gallon (5 dry mils)
- Porous Surfaces: 75-100 sq. ft. per gallon (5 dry mils)
- @ 70°F 50% R.H
- To Touch – 1-2 hours
- Recoat – 8-16 hours
Tools and drippings should be cleaned with warm soapy water before coating dries. Follow equipment manufacturer’s directions to clean spray equipment. Dispose of all waste according to current local, state and federal regulations.
Store in a dry place at temperatures between 40°F (4.5°C) and 90°F (32°C). Approved respirators must be used to prevent inhalation of asbestos fibers that may be present in the air. Protective clothing should be worn. Careful consideration must be given to all EPA, OSHA, federal, state and local regulations in effect prior to the application of this product.
Safety & Technical Data Sheets